Colombian Exchange Preformance Task
How did the arrival of Europeans in the Americas change the world in positive OR negative ways?
After reading the linked articles create a visual representation (poster, diorama, model etc..) of some aspect of the Colombian Exchange. Your representation should depict an important and impactful example of the exchanges between the Old World the New World.
The arrival of Europeans in the Americas changed the world in many ways.
1. Read the linked articles to help you form your opinion.
2. Identify whether you think the changes were mostly positive or negative.
3. Select an example from the Colombian Exchange that you can create a visual model of.
5. Create your visual representation.
4. Write a paragraph that describes what you are displaying and the positive OR negative effects of this example exchange.
The Columbian Exchange http://www.learnnc.org/lp/editions/nchist-twoworlds/1866
Farming Like the Incas http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-archaeology/Farming-Like-the-Incas.html
The Real Story of Globalization http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111903454504576486421307171028.html
Website with Active links The Columbian Exchange http://public.gettysburg.edu/~tshannon/hist106web/site19/
Longer detailed article The Columbian Exchange: A History of Disease, Food, and Ideas http://pubs.aeaweb.org/doi/pdfplus/10.1257/jep.24.2.163
Native North Americans - The Effects of Colonization http://www.funsocialstudies.learninghaven.com/articles/natives2.htm
The Story of the Conquistadors http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/british/tudors/conquistadors_01.shtml
American Indians and European Diseases http://www.nativeamericannetroots.net/diary/1142/american-indians-and-european-diseases