It has been a tremendously active summer for the Breathitt County School system. We are continuing to grow and develop better systems to help meet the needs of our students. The work that we have put in has made the summer move quickly and it’s hard to believe a new school year is upon us. Teachers will be reporting on August 4th to begin preparations for the upcoming year for students, which will begin on August 10th. There is an enthusiasm within each of our buildings that has not been seen in quite some time in Breathitt County Schools. Our faculty and staff are very eager to get back to the business of educating our young people and giving them the hope for a better tomorrow.
Several new initiatives will be put in place this school year that will help enhance our educational system. We as a district are continuing to build the foundational work of the previous year so that each and every student that comes through our doors is ready for future success. Those initiatives are:
- Development and expansion of the Breathitt County Schools Dual Credit program that recognizes every student that is taking dual credit in a post-secondary institution.
- Expansion of the one to one initiative into all high school grades. For the first time ever, every child at Breathitt County High School will have a computer of their own to use.
- The development of a teacher leadership academy to help recognize and promote our best and brightest teachers into leadership roles. This will be in conjunction with AdvancED and help lead us towards accreditation.
- A Superintendent Student Advisory Council that will be made of high school students to help get student input on the issues that face our students. This will give me an insightful look into the students’ views on our educational system.
- Purchase of new uniforms for Breathitt County High School Football for the first time since 1996.
- Investments in our Academic teams and Band program to make them the best in the area.
Highland Turner Open House August 4th from 3:30-5:30 pm
LBJ Open House August 8th from 3-5
MRC Open House August 9th from 3-5
SMS Open House August 8th 3-5
BHS Freshman orientation August 4th and 5th
BHS Schedule pick up August 5th from 8-3
These are just a few of the new initiatives that we have been working on this summer as we prepare for the 16-17 school year. This year is an opportunity to show the world the unlimited potential of the Breathitt county school community. We as a school community are primed for tremendous growth and we look forward to having every one of our students back in our classrooms!
David W. Gibson
Breathitt County Schools